Breathing Techniques – Shamanic Breathing vs. Wim Hof Method for Superhuman Powers & Altered States
These breathing techniques can allow you to increase your energy, withstand cold, and improve your physical health in many ways.
Breathing Techniques – Instructions:
Wim Hof Method:
(see the Wim Hof safety message and video below)
– Lay in a comfortable position. It is best not to use a pillow or only a small one so that your spine and neck are in alignment.
– Breath deep for either 2 to 3 minutes or just take about 30 deep inhales and exhales -The breathing pattern is fully in, as much as you can, and then exhale is a comfortable “letting go”, DO NOT blow the air out in full or force it out.
– Hold Breath – Once you get past 2 minutes or 30 breaths, the number is not important, let go of the breath fully and hold in the exhale, not taking another breath. Relaxing into your body and mind going deep allow yourself not to breathe for at least a minute and up to 3, however long you can go for.
– Breath deep and hold – Once you cannot hold any longer take a full inhale and squeeze, feel the energy radiating up your spine for 15-20 seconds as you hold your breath during your inhale. To create further awareness you can tap with your hands on parts of your body such as your abdomen, your chest, your head, and your third eye to activate your chakras and your brain stem and pineal gland. Imagine moving the energy around in these areas. Also, imagine an egg of light for love and protection around you detoxing any negative energy and bringing positive energy.
– Then let go and start the process of 30 breaths over again. Do a minimum of three rounds up to as many as you’d like. The more you do, the deeper you will go, and the more you will hold your breath and get all the benefits.
– Bonus – you can even do a horse stance or plank to see how long you can hold yourself while you are holding your breath. You will notice this time going up as you do this more and more and an ability to hold your breath longer, but don’t stress about the performance that’s just so you know you are improving.
– Lay down in the same way with your head in alignment with your chakras.
– Breath as aggressively as possible for 10 to 15 minutes.
– Every 10 – 15 minutes you will stop and hold your breath. This I usually do on the inhale, as opposed to the last one the down breath.
– Then after you can’t hold your breath any longer let it out slowly and start again.
With this, you will see amazing things happening. You will be able to hold your breath for surprising amounts of time. Your state of consciousness will become as if you are on ecstasy and you will begin to feel a deep connection to everything. I like to do this with a tantra meditation that you can find here. (you’ll find that in group 1) It will give you an incredibly powerful experience of love, intimacy, and connection with your partner.
– I recommend putting coconut oil on your lips and mouth because it will be very drying and uncomfortable.
– If you start to cramp or feel pain, it might be best for you to stop, what I do is try to breathe into the pain and continue until it passes.
Benefits of These Breathing Techniques:
– Improving your body’s major systems such as the immune system, the endocrine, and nervous system
– Oxygenate and improve the pH of your cells leading to powerful healing
– Can help to kill endotoxins and bacteria
– It can help to increase metabolic activity – meaning it can help you lose weight and there are even diets based on this principle
– It can help to increase white blood cells, which fight disease
– This also helps to move the internal energy in your body in the same way you do when you get acupuncture.
– And that said this can give you a feeling of being high without drugs, and in a totally healthy way.
– It can help you to go into an altered state of consciousness and improve your meditations, in fact, I always start my meditations with some deep breathing to help lower stress and get you to a better place to accept what you’re looking to obtain and you can see a whole menu of guided meditations on my site for that.
– This can also help you unlock your pineal gland which is a part of your brain that is referred to as your connection to higher consciousness and is dormant in most people and you can see my video on how to do just that, in the video I’m sitting in the cold with no shirt showing how you can withstand unusually cold temperatures as part of the practice if you want to. For more on the benefits of breathwork see this series from Dr. Andrew Weil: (click photo for link)
Overcoming Cold Temperature Extremes:
If you want to open yourself to your greater power this is done with a mind, body, and spirit approach. You don’t do it just with your body, if you want to go and do incredible things like withstanding cold you do that by preparing yourself for it mentally. It’s the same reason when you go on a long trip on a plane or in a car for 10 hours and it’s easy whereas one hour in a car can feel much worse when you didn’t expect it.
When you prepare yourself mentally it’s not only your mental body that prepares, but your physical, emotional and energy body prepares as well.
Another Part of this physical preparation to do extreme things is being nutritionally sound. Eating foods that help and heal your body, sleeping well, lowering stress with meditation, are going to be helpful. As well as moving your chi and you can see my videos on that.
Other Videos You Might Like:
More on Wim Hoff & Wim’s Breathing Disclaimer
For more information on the Wim Hof method their website can be found here:
The breathing exercises can have strong physiological effects and must be practiced as instructed. Always perform them in a safe environment, sitting or lying down. Never practice the exercises before or during diving, driving, swimming, taking a bath, or in any other circumstance where loss of consciousness could result in bodily harm. Wim Hof breathing may cause tingling sensations, a ringing in the ears, and/or lightheadedness. These are normal responses and are no cause for alarm. If you faint, however, you have gone too far, and should take it more slowly next time.
The cold is a powerful force, and extreme cold can be a shock to your body. We strongly advise to start slow and gradually build up exposure. Always train without forcing anything, and listen to the signals from your body. If not practiced responsibly, there is risk of hypothermia.
Do not practice the method during pregnancy, or if you are epileptic. People with cardiovascular issues, or any other serious health conditions, should always consult a medical professional before starting the Wim Hof Method.
Link to Wim Hof’s safety video (please watch before trying these techniques) – https://youtu.be/IFSL_Qk9qKw
Further Disclaimer for all health practices
By utilizing the information presented on this site, you agree to and understand that author, Bill Farr is not a doctor or any other type of certified health care professional, and his opinion is not a substitute for professional medical prevention, diagnosis, or treatment. Please consult with your doctor or your other health care providers concerning your symptoms and medical requirements before following any of the remedies or other suggestions he offers. His opinion is based on his own research and is to be used for educational purposes only. Bill Farr’s wellness plans and advice are meant to be used in conjunction with standard allopathic or osteopathic medical treatment and care.