In this video, I explain the options you have for adding good bacteria into your body with Probiotics and Fermented Foods. (See part one to learn the importance of gut bacteria and what kills it)
Options for adding good gut bacteria to your system are:
- Probiotics (gut bacteria supplements) – With these you can achieve anywhere from 1 to as much as 70 billion bacteria added to your system per serving. I like to switch off between these two brands:
- Dr. Mercola’s adds 70 billion per serving.
- Yogurt – but don’t eat commercial. Commercial brands have sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and aspartame as well as very little to no good bacteria because they don’t ferment long enough, due to the fact that there is little to no regulations on fermenting.
- Kombucha – fermented tea, also eat homemade.
- Natto – fermented soy.
- Fermented (cultured) Vegetables - These are my favorite way of getting Probiotics because they are easy to make at home. Within 7 days of fermenting 2-3 oz has 10 trillion gut bacteria, which is the same as a whole bottle of Probiotics. See my blog on that here on how to make Fermented Vegetables. (Part 3/3 of the importance of gut bacteria)
If you are just taking probiotics and not eating the fermented food such as fermented vegetables it is important to add something to your diet for your bacteria to eat, such as Psyllium husk fiber. This keeps the gut bacteria healthy and thriving.
If you have not watched Part 1 - Click Here to learn the Importance of Gut Bacteria and what can Kill It
In this interview Dr. Natasha Cambell-McBride talks about how she cured her son of autism as well as her book GAPS, that is helping so many others do the same.
– Autism diet with Donna Gates and Dr. Campbell-McBride- www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLP0Ijo2CK4
– Gut is your second brain and explaination of GAPS – articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/04/16/bacteria-on-gut-flora-causes-ocd.aspx
– Fat absorption, gut as a second brain and fermented foods-articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/10/01/gut-bacteria-on-fat-absorption.aspx
– In this video an practitioner/trainer of GAPS, talks about the benefits of fermented food and the importance of the GAPS diet. www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnbtmqO204Q
– Dr. Amen speaking on how they help your brain – www.amenclinics.com/?p=6831&option=com_wordpress&Itemid=204
– 11 things that destroy gut bacteria -www.naturalnews.com/040353_friendly_bacteria_foods_gut_health.html
– Full explanation of GAPS – articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/03/18/mcbride-and-barringer-interview.aspx?np=true
– Gut flora and immunity – articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/05/12/dr-campbell-mcbride-on-gaps.aspx
– What gut bacteria is and how they decide if your sick or well: http://science.time.com/2012/08/27/how-gut-bugs-make-you-sick-or-well/
– Gut bacteria and brain function – healthimpactnews.com/2013/study-your-gut-bacteria-affects-your-brain-function/
– Dr. Mcbride talking about food being the best medicine – www.youtube.com/watch?v=cONYR7vAD-A
– Other psychological effects in children including autism – www.healthhomehappy.com/2010/11/the-gut-brain-connection-autism-add-allergies-and-other-diseases.html
– Probiotics can change brain activity – www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/probiotics-change-brain-activity-emotional-response
– The second brain of your gut and your mood – www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=gut-second-brain