Overcoming Negative Energy
You know that like attracts like, right? So here’s the deal: Positive people are drawn to positive energy; negative people are drawn to negative energy.
We tend to perceive negative energy as something other people have. Sure, sometimes we feel negative – as in, “go away and leave me alone, world!” but did you know that negativity can be so ingrained in you that it goes unnoticed? This is especially true when people refer to something negative as "Reality".
When you view the world from a ‘realistic’ standpoint, you can’t help but be negative IF your version of reality is negative.
It's about subconscious beliefs - If your version of reality is negative, you are conditioned to believe that whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.
So – if this negativity is so ingrained in you that you don’t notice it, how do you determine whether you’re stuck in a cloud of negative energy that is attracting the wrong people, wrong situations and wrong feelings? And how can you be sure you’re not perpetuating that negativity?
Here’s a quick quiz to gauge the level of negative energy within you:
- Do you complain? All the time or just sometimes?
- Do you often discuss what’s wrong in the world more than what’s right? This includes problems with weather, traffic, government, economy, in-laws, etc.
- Do you criticize? All the time or just certain people?
- Are you attracted to drama and disaster (can you unglue yourself from the TV when there’s a news story of a disaster and can you avoid getting involved in the lives of dysfunctional celebrities?)
- Do you blame? All the time or just certain situations?
- Do you believe that you have no control over most of your results?
- Do you feel like a victim? Do you talk about people doing things to you?
- Are you grateful for what is or will you be grateful when things finally start going right for you?
- Do you feel like things are happening to you? Or do you feel that they are happening through you?
This last two points are important:
If you’re not grateful except when things go right, you are negative. Gratitude is positive. If you are grateful for what is (including the unpleasant school of life lessons, then you can invite more and more positive energy into your life.
Believing that things happen to you puts you in the role of victim; then it’s easy to be negative because it’s convenient to give up that power. So consider this alternative: who or what is to blame when GOOD things happen to you? Do you acknowledge that you are responsible for the good things – as in, you deserve and earned it, etc… but blame external events or other people for your failures? So how come, when good things happen, they are a result of what you do, but when bad things happen, they are not your fault?
Nobody likes to hear that. It takes courage to accept that you create your life experience!
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, you are holding on to negative energy to some degree! To clear your negative energy and raise your vibration, you will need to retrain yourself to choose a positive attitude.
Here’s another interesting idea to consider: have you noticed that positive people seem to get what they want out of life, and even if things don’t go their way, they still enjoy their lives… while negative people whine and moan about their misfortunes and even the good things in their lives?
To clear negative energy, try this 3 step process:
1. Take ownership: “When you think everything is someone else’s fault, you will suffer a lot. When you realize that everything springs only from yourself, you will learn both peace and joy.” – the Dalai Lama
2. Cut off the negative thoughts and replace them with positive thoughts. This takes practice, dedication and deciding to see “what can go right” instead of wrong. You’ll have to catch yourself anytime you are speaking negativity, and immediately change your tune. Try the second meditation in my blog here.
3. Being "Spiritual" means taking responsibility to clear your energy and bring more light and love into your life
a. Overcome your past conditioning - Visualize the positive instead of getting sucked into negativity.
b. "Reality" - Create a new, desired reality in your imagination and manifest it in the outer world.
When you overcome that conditioning and realize that the future is NOT cast in stone but that you have more control over your circumstances than you believe – then you can begin to consciously design your life.
If you're curious about meditation, it's a great way to retrain your mind and breaking old habits. See the benefits and how to in this video below:
Clearing Negative Energy Series:
Part 1 - Are you perpetuating negative beliefs around you caused by your subconscious belief structure. Learn how to stop this.
Part 2 - Understand how we absorb energy from others. And 5 techniques on how to prevent this.
Part 3 - Understanding the characteristics of an empathy or emotional sponge and if this is you, how to protect yourself.
Part 4 - Learn how to use salt water and sage to disconnect from chronic negative energy, black energy and entities
Part 5 - Learn how to use sage, salt, crystals, essential oils and more to clear your home, office, jewelry, car or other objects of negative energy, entities and anything else holding you back.