Clearing Negative Energy from Your Home or Space – Part 5/5
Do you feel odd or negative energy or just the energy change in some way in your home, office, or car? Did you move into a new space and want to clear any negativity?
- Negative thoughts from current or previous owners or occupants
- Disturbed emotional energy of current or previous owners or occupants
- Strong conflict between people or within oneself
- Non-physical beings
- Earth Energies
• A shift in the land underneath your home or disturbance in underground water may change the energy in a negative way.
• Cell phone towers or power lines could cause a shift but it is also possible from devices such as cell phones, computers, or microwave ovens.
• An object in your space can also carry an energy in particular furniture (especially used), Antiques, Second-hand jewelry, works of art, anything made by hand including carpets or that symbolized a person or feeling.
All things have an energy and all things can carry an energy. This is especially true for things that people feel strong emotions while using, such as a bed or couch because their strong projected energy will move into these.
Every time you clean your home you are removing negative energy. This happens mostly because of a sub-conscious desire for fresh positive energy. Even just opening windows will bring in fresh energy as we have all experienced.
Although you cannot see energy with the naked eye, you can certainly feel it. Examples are the times you’ve met someone (or entered a room) and just didn’t get a good feeling from them. Perhaps some kind of "negative vibes"? If you have suffered ill health, accidents, arguments, lose or break things, moved – it will be helpful to clear it of negative energy. Depression, Anxiety, or other negative emotions - When you or anyone else in the house is constantly depressed, in conflict, or giving off negative energy or have a guest with negative energy your space should be cleared and often. This is especially true for any unexplained or sudden mental, physical, or emotional upset or a change after moving into a new home or office.
Dr Emoto conducted an experiment with water and negative energy and if you're not convinced yet, you can see these incredible and amazing pictures here.
How to Identify Energies –
To Begin Clearing Negative Energy:
The first way to start the process is by cleaning your home, office, car or other space.
- Get rid of clutter. Clutter is one of the major offenders when it comes to blocked or sluggish energy in your home. Old newspapers and magazines, piles of cloths etc. Be sure to clean out your closets and drawers (get rid of anything you haven't worn or used for more than a year), and even remove stagnant collection of books, music, and other media or at least move them from their space and clean all around them. Know that negative energy needs objects to hang on to so it can remain around.
- Clean rugs, curtains, walls, etc. Every time you clean your home you are removing negative energy. Cleaning your home or workspace will make it lighter and more positive. This is a result of organizing, of ridding yourself of things you no longer need and removing toxic products from your environment. Just opening windows brings in fresh, positive energy.
- Mop with Essen tial Oils – Just a few drops of the ess ential oils will suffice in your mop bucket: Pinch of Salt (purifying and grounding); Sage oil (purifying); Lemon oil (gives energy and a clean smell); Patchouli (brings prosperity -- go extra light on this); Pine (brings prosperity and love) - For carpets you can spray a small mixture of it after vacuuming. email firstname.lastname@example.org for links to my favorite oils.
- Clean Windows – Windows are a major source of letting good positive, loving, energy in. Opening the windows and allowing sunlight in is another natural cleanser. If they are dirty or there are dead flowers or plants in front or back of them, it will prevent this from happening. Clean window panes to allow fresh air in and negative energy out. Do not allow pollution from noise or toxins to enter instead though. Set protective energy, crystals, or salt since after sunset since an open window or door is an invitation for unwanted entities to come in.
- Rearrange the furniture - Again negative energy needs something to "cling to." Arrange your space with as much wide open space as possible, clean behind furniture and allow any negative energy to disperse. The act of rearranging will cause this harmful energy to dissipate.
- Plants are an awesome natural filter for negative energy. Each space or room you spend time in has would be great with at least one. Flowers are good as well. Nightstand by your bed and desk makes a big difference, but you must water and maintain them.
- Make a room spray - Buying or making a room spray with pure essen tial oils helps clear negative energy. The best ones to use for clearing are: rose, lavender, frankincense, and patchouli.
-This works for people too. Gently mist yourself with the spray!
More Powerful Clearings
* Burn White Sage -
This is my favorite and most used technique. (click photo for link to purchase) It’s done by shamanic healers, American Indians, Monks and more, and is written about in many holy text including the Torah. You can buy white sage smudge sticks in many places, including online (click photo for link). Burning this while walking around all the rooms and closets in your house (swirling it in a counterclockwise rotation) is really great for clearing bad vibes. I usually say something as I do it like “I’m clearing all stagnant energy from this space and allowing only that of the highest vibration to remain.”
- This also works for people too. Start at your feet swirling the smoke from the sage around you until you get all the way up to your head. If you are doing this to someone else’s space or their body, just ask their permission to remove the negative energy. (see part 4 for other techniques as well)
You can also burn Palos Santos (click photo of wood above), lavender, mint or eucalyptus incense inside every room. These scents will infuse positive energy into the home and will push out anything negative.
This book can offer even more info if you like.
Move in a circular motion through each room in your home. Especially when burning sage. You can move in either a clockwise (deosil) or counter-clockwise (widdershins) direction through your home.
- If you move counterclockwise (to the left circular) concentrate on banishing dirt, old memories, dustiness, mustiness, and blocked energy: the emphasis is on banishing, or pushing out.
- If you move clockwise (to the right in each room), concentrate on bringing in lightness, peace, clarity, serenity, prosperity, or whatever positive energy you wish for into your home: the emphasis for this direction is on invoking, or inviting in.
* Sea Salt Cleanse
Sea salt is commonly used in Feng Shui to get rid of negative energy and to allow a balanced chi to flow inside the home. I like this for more heavy energy, a move, or once every 6 months to a year. Mix the salt with water or just sprinkle it around and on furniture:
- Sprinkle sea salt on the carpet, furniture, or bed evenly. After about a few hours, vacuum. Salt crystals have an amazing natural built in-ability to absorb negative energy. As an alternative, you can put bowls of salt in the corners of the northeast or southwest direction of the room. They can be removed after a few hours or left to be replaced every month. They should be left in an open space and not placed in a cupboard.
- With Water - Use rock-salt or seasalt (5-6 tablespoons) in a bucket of water or as much salt as you feel is right. You can simply request what you want, prey, meditate, energetic charge or any other way that sets your positive intention. Using your fingertips or an unused brush, smear the salt water around the walls, windows and doors of every room or mop or clean as usual. You can also put it in a spray bottle and spray the walls, carpet, chairs, etc.
- You can even use this on yourself (a sea salt bath would also be good for your skin, muscles and circulation). With the remaining water, you can pour it outside in the front and back of your house thinking of it as a protective barrier. It’s grounding and clearing at the same time.
All About the Intention
No Matter what method you choose, the important thing is that you have a positive intention when doing it. Do this without distractions such as radio, TV or phone interrupting. Imagine these energies leaving. This can be either out the window/door, to the light, up through the sky however you see it, while allowing the good energy or love to remain.
Then imagine a protective light around what you are clearing such as your home, not allowing them to enter again. You can even speak out loud or in your mind that you are removing any and all negative energy, negative beings, negative entities and anything else unwanted or not in your best interest to leave your space immediately.
This is best done in a meditative type state, slowly and focused, ending with a smile visualizing vibrant and positive love thriving there.
This should be done periodically. I like to burn sage once a week unless something particularly negative happens such as an argument or someone coming in with a lot of negativity, then I do it right after that.
It should also be done:
- When moving into a new space or someone has moved out of a space.
- Following an illness or death.
- Bringing in a new object to your home that you have meaning for or want to set an intention with. Such as if you buy a new piece of art or furniture, jewelry, anything hand made.
Seal your home against negative energies by doing any one or more of the following:
• Using a wand, sketch a pentacle in the invoking direction at each of your home's entrances (windows, doors, etc). Don't forget the door to the basement or garage!
• Sprinkle salt water around the outside walls of your home.
• Place a penny (right side up) in each of the outside corners of your home.
• Place a protective symbol--such as a mirror, a household god, or a broom - at or near your front and back doors. It's best to use the symbol most closely aligned with your own ethnic heritage.
Other Clearing Techniques:
- Loud noises - This is why the Chinese love fireworks. Loud noises break up energy patterns and allow them to disperse. Another way thunder storms clears energy.
- High Frequency Music - Playing high vibration music can make a big difference. We already know what a difference music can make in our own energy, and it does the same for spaces.
- Singing Bowl – These are powerful ways of using sound vibration with intention. Done by hitting the bowl and tracing the edge with the wooden stick counterclockwise to remove negative energies. You can use this on yourself, others, and rooms. For rooms, I recommend you walk the room counterclockwise.
- Other work with sound and vibration can be done with clearing with bells, cymbals, a gong, and chanting.
- Crystals - Hang or put crystal at the windows, doors, stairway corners, before the bathroom, and in rooms to deflect and clear negative energies. Crystals are very popular in Feng Shui to clear unwanted energy and attract depending on color, or what you've charged it with.
- Candle - Light a white candle in each room and set an intention or prey over it. Let it burn out to the end.
- Clapping - Stand in the middle of the room facing the window, pull your arms back with cupped hands and clap pulling negative energy with it, and feel it moving out the window. Slam your hands together to give it a good boost out. Repeat until you feel your room is clear. You can visualize the negative energy moving out, off the floor, walls, ceiling, bed, objects, and yourself.
- Meditate in the Space - A proper meditation once or twice a day in your living space will broadcast out a powerful positive vibration. A proper meditation will saturate a space with uplifting energy for several hours. You can even meditate for the protection of the space -- Envision the space within you and around you filled with light, a protective, healing and positive light. Think of the light as a shield against dark forces and negative energy. Send up a prayer asking for what you wish to accomplish such as cleansing, harmony, protection, purification of self and/or space, healing, blessings, leaving the light shield up after you finish.
- Black Tourmaline – This is a great crystal for clearing negative energy. This crystal does not need to be cleared as others do. Healingcrystals.org has good prices. These work for people too. You can put it in your pocket or bag while traveling. Also great for sensitive people who seem to pick up on the energy around them and need some extra protection.
- Witch Hazel cleanse - If you have just moved to a new home that has a bad aura or a very negative feel, wash any wood surfaces and floors with mild witch hazel diluted with water: 10 to 1 mix.
When you feel that your home has been thoroughly cleansed, say in a strong, clear voice something such as, "My home is cleared of all negative energy. Let it be a place of peace, serenity, love, and prosperity."
Pre-owned Furniture or other Items:
- Used furniture and beds especially holds a person’s energy, so if they were unhappy that vibration lasts inside. If you do have a used bed I would recommend dowsing, sageing and putting sea salt on it.
- Used or passed on Jewelry carries the energy of the wearer.
If you have been feeling bad, depressed, anxious, or something else you want to change, it may be helpful to clean and clear all these types of things. With items from a loved one, be particular about only clearing negative energies and hold on to the love offered.
Jewelry, Crystals, and Gemstones
There are a number of methods for clearing jewelry, gemstones and crystals:
• To clear gemstones and crystals, sea salt works well. Salt can be dissolved or used dry. For salt water, mix a tablespoon of sea salt with a cup of cold water in a glass or ceramic container. Do not use plastic or metal containers. Place the stones in the solution for several hours or overnight. With dry salt, bury pieces in a glass or ceramic container and leave for several hours or overnight. When clearing gemstone necklaces, use dry salt, as the water solution will deteriorate the cord that the beads were strung on. Discard salt.
• Wash in the ocean.
• Clear in sunlight—allow to sit in the sun for a day.
• Clear in moonlight. Bury in the earth overnight with a full moon.
• Smudge all jewelry, gemstones and crystals.
• You can clear jewelry of negative energy with a pendulum.
Remember to have the intention to keep the love and positive energy offered in the stone.
Not feeling at home in your space?
If your space feels full of someone else’s “stuff,” walk around and claim it as yours. “I take back this space. I choose to make this a positive place for me now! I love changing the energy of this space.” When you “install” this positive energy, all the negative energy that’s hanging around will no longer be a match.
Clearing Negative Energy Series:
Part 1 - Are you perpetuating negative beliefs around you caused by your subconscious belief structure. Learn how to stop this.
Part 2 - Understand how we absorb energy from others. And 5 techniques on how to prevent this.
Part 3 - Understanding the characteristics of an empathy or emotional sponge and if this is you, how to protect yourself.
Part 4 - Learn how to use salt water and sage to disconnect from chronic negative energy, black energy and entities
By utilizing the information presented on this site, you agree to and understand that author, Bill Farr is not a doctor or any other type of certified health care professional, and his opinion is not a substitute for professional medical prevention, diagnosis, or treatment. Please consult with your doctor or your other health care providers concerning your symptoms and medical requirements before following any of the remedies or other suggestions he offers. His opinion is based on his own research and is to be used for educational purposes only. Bill Farr’s wellness plans and advice are meant to be used in conjunction with standard allopathic or osteopathic medical treatment and care.