Are you an Emotional Empath?
Your Negative Emotions May Not Be Yours?
All things including Emotions such as fear, anger, frustration, and immobility are energies. Unfortunately you can potentially ‘catch’ or absorb these energies from other people without realizing it. If you tend to be an emotional sponge, it’s vital to know how to avoid taking on the negative emotions of others including in crowds.
More bad news about negative emotions is that chronic anxiety, depression, or stress can turn you into an emotional sponge by wearing down your defenses. When your energy is low from these feelings your “shields” or Chi (internal energy) is greatly lowered.
Any negative emotion can originate from a variety of sources:
- What you’re feeling may be your own
- It may be someone else's
- Or it may be a combination.
Here is how to know the difference and use your positive emotions so not to take the weight of negativity that is not yours.
How to Stop Absorbing Other People’s Emotions:
1. Identify whether you’re susceptible. The person most likely to absorb the energy of others is called an “empath” or a person who acts as an “emotional sponge”. Here are signs that you might be an empath include:
- People tell you that you are “hyper-sensitive”, “overly sensitive”, and they don’t mean it as a compliment. Your feelings are easily hurt.
- You are very good at assessing someone else’s negative feelings even if they say they are fine.
- You sense fear, anxiety, and stress from other people and often then feel this yourself or have to make a conscious effort not to. This can happen from friends, family, and colleagues.
- You quickly feel exhausted, drained, and unhappy in the presence of crowds.
- Noise, smells, and excessive talking can set off your nerves and anxiety.
- You need to be alone to recharge your energy.
- You’re naturally giving, generous, spiritually inclined, and a good listener.
- You tend to ensure that you’ve got an escape plan, so that you can get away fast, such as bringing your own car to events, etc.
- You often lose yourself or are suffocated in the intimacy of close relationships.
2. Identify the source of the negative emotion:
- What is the emotion? Is it usually some version of fear, but try to get specific. Is it anxiety, depression, what are you afraid of. If you can’t identify it exactly, then it’s probably just someone else’s that either pushed it on you or you absorbed.
- If it’s yours, identify why you are feeling this way and work to eliminate the source. That might mean getting out of an abusive relationship, changing jobs, confronting your partner or boss. See my blog on Anxiety here. Remember that your own anxiety can often have to do with a nutritional deficiency. Over 90% of worry doesn’t come to fruition. Think of your own track record. How often has the things you worried about actually happened? Is it 1 out of 10? If so then you have a 90% chance of being wrong about your worry.
- Are the emotions your feeling someone else’s? If so then to eliminate it, first identifying who’s anxiety it is and how you have allowed yourself to feel this way is the start of getting out of it. Next as explained in the meditation here, build your egg of light around yourself to remove and protect you from this current attack/absorption as well as future ones.
- Understand that it could be a combination of both yours and another’s. If you have some issue or fear you are dealing with, it’s possible anyone else feeling that way could spark your issue up. For future it’s a good idea to avoid these people, especially long conversations with them or listening to their problems.
- If it’s someone else’s, see about eliminating him or her from your life, if you can’t get them out of your life, know that you always need protect yourself around them. This happens with the egg of light as well as disconnecting to their energy. They probably feel better when you feel bad so understand that they want you to absorb their energy so they can feel better. This is why they are called energy vampires.
- - Monitor your thoughts. For example, we’ve all had the feeling of a happy movie bringing our energy up to a happy place or experiencing fear under otherwise normal situation after seeing a horror flick. Also notice that sitting next to someone in public such as a movie theater or restaurant can cause your emotion to change based on theirs. Energies overlap especially in close proximity, when you feel it coming on, use your energy or egg of light to push it out.
- - If shopping malls, concerts or parties upset or overwhelm you, it could very well be that you are absorbing negative energy from the people around you or the collective. You will want to ground yourself with the earth (unity breath meditation here) and/or the egg of light
- - Move away from what you suspect as the source. Don’t be afraid of offending someone that you are standing or sitting next to if they are making you feel their negative emotion.
3. Center yourself by concentrating on your breath. This can connect you back to yourself. Start with deep breaths, then push out negative energy with strong exhales. Inhale positive while light creating calm.
4. Visualize the negative emotions as a gray fog moving out of your body/aura with your breath and intention, up and away from you. Replace this with golden and white powerful beams of light. Add hope and faith if necessary.
5. Flush it all out. Negative emotions such as fear will frequently lodge in your emotional center at the solar plexus.
- Place left palm to the ground, bringing in white light from the earth, with your right palm on your solar plexus and send loving-kindness to that area to flush all stress out.
- For long bouts of depression or anxiety, use this method everyday to strengthen this center. It’s comforting and can rebuild your sense of safety and optimism, as it becomes a ritual.
6. Always use the egg of light to shield yourself. Anytime you are going into a crowed place or place you’ve felt negative emotion, shield up and protect yourself and block out negativity. This energy meditation is shown here.
7. Know your environment:
- Learn to identify people who bring you down. That includes anyone who has in the past as well as complainers, victims, criticizers, narcissists, controllers as well as anyone who brings you down.
- Places that have a lot of people - bars, concerts, or events find your safe place sitting along the edges or standing apart.
- Self-sufficient - don’t have to rely on anyone else to get out of a situation unless they understand you may want to leave on a moments notice. That means bringing your own car.
- Do not drink excessively or at all and don’t do drugs.
- Set time limits. Don’t stay out past midnight for example and know you want to leave a party before you get overwhelmed, that might mean 30 minutes after making your appearance.
- Practice meditation and/or chi gong daily.
8. Surround yourself with positive people and situations. These are people who consistently lift your mood or make you feel good being around them. Asking and accepting your own needs through healthy self-love and respect will also increase your ability to respect others. Lose the guilt you may have about asking for what you want and getting it.
Learn to remove negative energy using salt water as a powerful healing remedy against chronic negative energy, thoughts, and entities.
Clearing Negative Energy Series:
Part 1 - Are you perpetuating negative beliefs around you caused by your subconscious belief structure. Learn how to stop this.
Part 2 - Understand how we absorb energy from others. And 5 techniques on how to prevent this.
Part 3 - Understanding the characteristics of an empathy or emotional sponge and if this is you, how to protect yourself.
Part 4 - Learn how to use salt water and sage to disconnect from chronic negative energy, black energy and entities
Part 5 - Learn how to use sage, salt, crystals, essential oils and more to clear your home, office, jewelry, car or other objects of negative energy, entities and anything else holding you back.