7 Natural ways To Remove Make-Up
Makeup wipes and liquid removers may seem convenient, but they can actually irritate your eyes and hurt your skin over time. “Since you're not rinsing away the active cleansing ingredients in wipes, that residue that's left behind may expose your skin to high concentrations of solublizers, surfactants and emulsifiers," Dr. Maryann Mikhail, a New York-based dermatologist told The Huffington Post. “This can be drying and irritating for some people, especially those with dry or sensitive skin. Also, some wipes contain alcohol, which can cause stinging.” Here are a few natural ways to remove your makeup and refresh your skin without the use of harsh chemicals:
Most makeup removers contain too much alcohol, and strips your skin of essential oils. Plus, many natural makeup removers have so many ingredients that it's rare to find one without allergens or other elements that can cause irritation.
1. Remove Makeup with Oil cleansing For Dry or Sensitive Skin:
Certain Oils not only has so many different healing properties, but they contain a ton of softening agents too. It’s the best natural way to remove makeup if you have dry skin.
For sensitive or dry skin, using oil to wash your face means that it will naturally dissolve the dirty oils on your skin without stripping it or using harsh chemicals. This method simpler, more affordable, better for your skin, and eco-friendly, and has the most positive reviews from people I know who use it. It removes mascara, eyeliner, foundation, everything—all in one step!
Tip: Creamy or oil based removers are best for dry skin. Keep this tip in your mind even if you are looking for a makeup remover from the market.
See my full blog on oil cleansing and exactly how to do it here.
2. Honey And Baking Soda – An All Natural Makeup Remover:
This works wonderful on any type of makeup. Just put a little organic honey on a clean wash cloth and sprinkle in some baking soda on it and wow – you get your own natural makeup remover!
It removes all of your makeup and that city grime while you exfoliate and add crucial vitamins to your skin. You can experiment and add a few drops of your favorite oil and whip into a paste and leave ready in a jar. Apply with a warm washcloth. Saves time and money
3. Baby Oil – Makeup Remover DIY
If you don’t have olive oil in your kitchen, try this makeup remover recipe. Baby oil is another oil to get rid of makeup and mascara. Mascara is by far the hardest makeup to get rid of, but with a little baby can remove it easily. Pour some of baby oil on a cotton ball. Wipe off the face makeup with it and use a wet washcloth to get rid of oil residues left behind on your face. The same can be done with a baby lotion if you have one with no toxins in it.
4. Milk – Best Natural Eye Makeup Remover
There’s no surprise that milk is great for the skin. Milk baths were a popular regimen for royal women thousands of years ago. The fat and proteins in milk, especially whole milk, can help to hydrate and allow for your skin to retain moisture. While drinking milk might exacerbate skin conditions such as acne and eczema, using it topically might help to soothe it. Using milk to remove your makeup is simpler and cheaper than buying most drug-store removers.
Two options with Milk:
- Take about a tablespoon of almond oil and add it to a bowl of whole milk and rub it all over your face with a wash cloth or cotton ball. It should leave your face makeup-free and refreshed.
- To remove eye makeup just try a bit of raw milk on a cotton ball to get rid of your eyeliner or mascara. Simply pour some raw milk right onto a cotton ball and very lightly swipe over your eye makeup, and then rinse off with lukewarm water. It’s fast, easy and all natural makeup remover. It’s perhaps the best makeup remover for the sensitive skin!!
Tip: If you do not use heavy makeup, milk is the best natural way to clean makeup from your face.
5. Witch hazel and olive oil
Let me begin by stating firmly that the eyes are a sensitive area and you should wash your eye makeup away with the same care you would use to hold a small puppy or child. Witch Hazel is perfect for removing powders and foundation, but also acts as an eco-friendly astringent. Adding olive oil or another favorite will make sure your skin is makeup free AND smooth!
6. Blended Cucumber
There are many beauty products that use cucumber in them to help remove makeup. Cucumbers have anti-inflammatory properties, so they will help to soothe irritated skin or acne-prone skin. Take one cucumber and blend it into a paste. Use it as a cleanser on your face. If you have tough makeup to remove, add a little bit of milk or olive oil to the mixture.
Yogurt is another kitchen staple that is great for your skin because it serves a number of different purposes. Using yogurt on your skin can help to moisturize it, and it’s perfect for relieving sunburns. Take a clean cotton round and dip it into some plain yogurt, rub it all over your face in a circular motion, and then rinse off with cool water.
Need something even stronger to get that last bit of make up off your eyes?
- Try Waxelene, a natural alternative to petroleum jelly, to polish off any access eye makeup! Just dab a small amount on your cotton ball or swab and gently work your way around the eye. Waxelene contains beeswax, vitamin E and rosemary oil, which preserves the wax and increases blood circulation — definitely a bonus for the eye area.
- Another great alternative is shea butter, which it will smoothly remove even the most stubborn shadow.
Other All Natural Beauty Care Links You Will Like:
- For more healthy skin tips see my blog here on the 17 best tips for healthy skin
- For shaving see my blog here on all natural way to shave
- How to make an all natural deodorant that works great
- To remove make-up naturally see my post here
- For natural ways to shave click here
- For the Best All Natural Soaps click here
- Shampoo (coming soon)